Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next
Disc level features
Author Message
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I'm currently auditing the new Santo boxset. It consist of 8 movies on 4 discs. Per the rules we should not enter disc level profiles. But there are disc level features that are not directly connected to either movie on the disc. How should those be documented?

My current idea is that I enter them on the first profile of the disc. Anyone agree or disagree?
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhydr0x
Registered: April 4, 2007
Germany Posts: 849
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I had the same problem recently with the "Mae West in Hollywood" boxset by Indicator/Powerhouse. It contains 10 movies on 6 discs. There are two features unrelated to any specific movie:

"Mae West at UCLA" (1971)
Cartoon "The Merry Old Soul" (1933)

The rules are completely silent about this. It felt wrong to me to arbitrarily choose either of the films from the disc that contained the bonus feature and add the feature there. Instead, I added these features to the boxset itself, similar to a booklet, postcards, or other physical bonus.

Of course, the downside is that you cannot tell from the profiles which disc contains the features.

I think this is another example of the old question in terms of DVD Profiler: Are we profiling movies, incidentally released on a disc, or are we profiling discs that happen to contain movies
- Jan
 Last edited: by hydr0x
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Yeah, I considered adding them to the parent, but the drawback, as you said, is that you cannot tell which disc they are on.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 17,174
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
problem is the rules spacifically say no features in the parents profiles to box sets so that wouldn't be allowed.
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
problem is the rules spacifically say no features in the parents profiles to box sets so that wouldn't be allowed.

Yeah, but it also says ”list them with the individual profiles”. But in this case, there is no individual profile. So it's a bit of a catch 22.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorhydr0x
Registered: April 4, 2007
Germany Posts: 849
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
problem is the rules spacifically say no features in the parents profiles to box sets so that wouldn't be allowed.


As Gunnar pointed out, neither solution is allowed with the rules strictly applied. It could be argued that Disc Features in "In addition to the above, the following are not included on the box set profile: Subtitles, Audio & Disc Features" only refers to the checkboxes listed under Disc Features, as the "Other" field is allowed/in use for other boxset-related features like booklets already, despite that wording.
- Jan
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorObiKen
Registered: October 22, 2015
Reputation: Great Rating
Australia Posts: 213
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting hydr0x:
Quote:
I had the same problem recently with the "Mae West in Hollywood" boxset by Indicator/Powerhouse. It contains 10 movies on 6 discs. There are two features unrelated to any specific movie:

"Mae West at UCLA" (1971)
Cartoon "The Merry Old Soul" (1933)

The rules are completely silent about this. It felt wrong to me to arbitrarily choose either of the films from the disc that contained the bonus feature and add the feature there. Instead, I added these features to the boxset itself, similar to a booklet, postcards, or other physical bonus.

Of course, the downside is that you cannot tell from the profiles which disc contains the features.

I think this is another example of the old question in terms of DVD Profiler: Are we profiling movies, incidentally released on a disc, or are we profiling discs that happen to contain movies

I am assuming you created a DiscID / alternate DiscID #1 profile for the films NIGHT AFTER NIGHT / SHE DONE HIM WRONG.

The two features were not specific to either film on the same disc, rather, they were common to both films on the same disc.

Adding them to "Other Features" in the Disc/Alternate Disc profiles is a valid solution and provides the information you seek on their whereabouts.

Just my thoughts.
 Last edited: by ObiKen
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ObiKen:
Quote:
Adding them to "Other Features" in the Disc/Alternate Disc profiles is a valid solution and provides the information you seek on their whereabouts.

But that doesn't solve the dilemma - on which profile do you add it. Both profiles? In either case, would you also check Featurettes and just use Other Features as a clarification? If you don't check Featurettes anywhere then you are skewing the information, as filtering for Featuretts won't give you a hit.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributormarcelb7
Registered: Oct. 16, 2000
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
Netherlands Posts: 733
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
I'm currently auditing the new Santo boxset. It consist of 8 movies on 4 discs. Per the rules we should not enter disc level profiles. But there are disc level features that are not directly connected to either movie on the disc. How should those be documented?

My current idea is that I enter them on the first profile of the disc. Anyone agree or disagree?

Santo box set
|-- Disc 1 Movie 1
|-- Disc 1 Movie 2
|-- Disc 2 Movie 1
|-- Disc 2 Movie 2
|-- Disc 3 Movie 1
|-- Disc 3 Movie 2
|-- Disc 4 Movie 1
|-- Disc 4 Movie 2
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting marcelb7:
Quote:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
I'm currently auditing the new Santo boxset. It consist of 8 movies on 4 discs. Per the rules we should not enter disc level profiles. But there are disc level features that are not directly connected to either movie on the disc. How should those be documented?

My current idea is that I enter them on the first profile of the disc. Anyone agree or disagree?

Santo box set
|-- Disc 1 Movie 1
|-- Disc 1 Movie 2
|-- Disc 2 Movie 1
|-- Disc 2 Movie 2
|-- Disc 3 Movie 1
|-- Disc 3 Movie 2
|-- Disc 4 Movie 1
|-- Disc 4 Movie 2

Obviously, but that's not the question.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
 Last edited: by GSyren
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Since no definitive answer has been given, I contributed them with the common features on the first profile for each disc.

It would have been nice if we had common name for studios. Here the studio is named in three different ways on the various films:
Cinematografica Calderon
Cinematografica Calderón
Cinematográfica Calderón

Those pesky accents cause a lot of extra work. Most of the films don't have any accents on names in cast and crew, which has necessitated a lot of CLT lookups.

I wish people didn't have accents in their names! Oh, wait ...    Yes, my last name actually is Syrén
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorateo357
Registered: December 27, 2009
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 5,100
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Quoting marcelb7:
Quote:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
I'm currently auditing the new Santo boxset. It consist of 8 movies on 4 discs. Per the rules we should not enter disc level profiles. But there are disc level features that are not directly connected to either movie on the disc. How should those be documented?

My current idea is that I enter them on the first profile of the disc. Anyone agree or disagree?

Santo box set
|-- Disc 1 Movie 1
|-- Disc 1 Movie 2
|-- Disc 2 Movie 1
|-- Disc 2 Movie 2
|-- Disc 3 Movie 1
|-- Disc 3 Movie 2
|-- Disc 4 Movie 1
|-- Disc 4 Movie 2

Obviously, but that's not the question.


since you are going to use alt disc ids. the bonus material is also on the alt disc id profile.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorGSyren
Profiling since 2001
Registered: March 14, 2007
Reputation: Highest Rating
Sweden Posts: 4,245
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting ateo357:
Quote:
since you are going to use alt disc ids. the bonus material is also on the alt disc id profile.

But entering them on both profiles for a disc will make it look like there are two sets of features.
My freeware tools for DVD Profiler users.
Gunnar
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorateo357
Registered: December 27, 2009
Reputation: Highest Rating
United States Posts: 5,100
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
Quoting ateo357:
Quote:
since you are going to use alt disc ids. the bonus material is also on the alt disc id profile.

But entering them on both profiles for a disc will make it look like there are two sets of features.


how about an alt. id for just the bonus features.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorscotthm
Registered: March 20, 2007
Reputation: Great Rating
United States Posts: 2,832
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
But entering them on both profiles for a disc will make it look like there are two sets of features.

It will make it look like each film has the same set of features, which is apparently the case.  This may be the best solution we have right now, other than just leaving them off altogether.

---------------
 Last edited: by scotthm
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorObiKen
Registered: October 22, 2015
Reputation: Great Rating
Australia Posts: 213
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting scotthm:
Quote:
Quoting GSyren:
Quote:
But entering them on both profiles for a disc will make it look like there are two sets of features.

It will make it look like each film has the same set of features, which is apparently the case.  This may be the best solution we have right now, other than just leaving them off altogether.

---------------

Agree with your summation.

GSyren's suggestion of first disc profile is purely arbitrary, which movie title is selected for the first profile? Is it as the titles appear on the front cover, back cover, disc label, disc menu contents or is based on production date, running time,... ?

If the disc contains a feature(s) (or Other Features) that is non-specific to the films on that same disc then it is common to both films, hence, that feature (or Other Feature) should be added to both the Disc/Alternate Disc #1 profiles.

When I watch the first film, I have access to that feature from the disc menu.
When I watch the second film, I have access to that feature from the disc menu.

How is that different to having separate physical discs for each film with the same feature on both discs?

We still end up with two film profiles with the same feature in either case.
 Last edited: by ObiKen
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2  Previous   Next