Welcome to the Invelos forums. Please read the forum rules before posting.

Read access to our public forums is open to everyone. To post messages, a free registration is required.

If you have an Invelos account, sign in to post.

    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next
A standard for TV series episode dividers
Author Message
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorRander
I hate mondays...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Denmark Posts: 591
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I must admit I'm kind of between two chairs on this one...

Though I agree that the punctuation looks best, for "longer" episode-numbers (like in Star Trek) I very much prefer the colon...

So for Star Trek and the likes I would (and do) use

721: Encounter at Farpoint
102: The naked now

and so on. But for other things I would probably use

1. The first episode
2. Another chapter

Although for series like "24" I would probably leave episodenumbers out - as I recall, all the episode are named after the hour they cover... 
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet. (William Gibson)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributornorthbloke
Registered: March 15, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United Kingdom Posts: 5,459
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
To be honest, just from these initial posts it seems obvious that there can't be a standard - as what looks fine for one series, could be wholy inappropriate for another.
I think the only thing we can agree on is that once a format has been decided upon for a particular series, then that is followed for all following seasons to keep it consistant. but what that format will be will have to be decided on on a case by case basis.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributor?
?
Registered: March 14, 2007
Posts: 3,830
Posted:
PM this userVisit this user's homepageDirect link to this postReply with quote
"24"
for region 1: 01:00 pm - 02:00 pm
for region 2: 01:00 - 02:00 , 13:00 - 14:00 as indicated on the dvd rom
Sources for one or more of the changes and/or additions were not submitted. Please include the sources for your changes in the contribution notes, especially for cast and crew additions.
 Last edited: by ?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorTigiHof
Keep your options open
Registered: March 13, 2007
Germany Posts: 465
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Another vote for "1. Episode Name" from me.

And I don't agree, northbloke. I would definitely like to see a standard.
Michael
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar Contributorpompel9
Registered: March 13, 2007
Norway Posts: 467
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
I use what it says on the DVD-menu. If they are without numbers, I don't add a number. I really don't see the point in that. Whats wrong with just using the DVD-menus for this?
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantKrikarian
cool that never fades...
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 291
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rander:
Quote:

Though I agree that the punctuation looks best, for "longer" episode-numbers (like in Star Trek) I very much prefer the colon...

So for Star Trek and the likes I would (and do) use

721: Encounter at Farpoint
102: The naked now


just out of curiosity, is this the way star trek episodes (and probably others) should be numbered? by number, i thought one meant by season order, not the number assigned in the end credits, or wherever (simply uninformed) that longer numbers come from.

did i just unwittingly create a new topic?

by-the-bye, i could easily be persuaded to hal's point about the numbers not necessarily being necessary....

krik
"Vampirism is still not a disease, Julia. Vampires are the living dead...dead...dead..."
 Last edited: by Krikarian
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 16,660
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting pompel9:
Quote:
I use what it says on the DVD-menu. If they are without numbers, I don't add a number. I really don't see the point in that. Whats wrong with just using the DVD-menus for this?


I would go with the booklet/back of keepcase or inside of digipak before going by the menu... if nothing else... ease of use.
Pete
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
We already had this argument and agreed to a standard.  That being: 1. Episode name

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantKrikarian
cool that never fades...
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 291
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
We already had this argument and agreed to a standard.  That being: 1. Episode name

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.



i think everyone like reinventing the wheel...haven't you noticed?????

krik
"Vampirism is still not a disease, Julia. Vampires are the living dead...dead...dead..."
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
We already had this argument and agreed to a standard.  That being: 1. Episode name

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.


As I recall, the agreement to use "1. Episode Name" was for the simple episode list that was to be included in the overview.

This question is about what to put in the episode divider, so it is not something with an agreed to standard....yet.

If you'd like to propose that it should match the simple episode list in the Overview, that's fine, but it is incorrect to claim that this is a settled issue.

As I've stated above, since the episode number is already in the "simple epidose list" in the Overview, I think it is redundant and bad use of limited space, to put it in the episode dividers as well.
Hal
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantTheKing75
Registered: March 14, 2007
Posts: 24
Posted:
PM this userDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
I don't use cast/crew listings to see what episodes are on which discs... after all simple episode lists don'
t usually have the disc numbers in the list... in my opinion that would be more then a simple episode list.The disc tab or child profiles will tell me which episodes are on which disc.


The whole idea of the "simple episode list" was to stop people from putting overviews for every episode in the overview. I remember when there was ping ponging with Alias Season One when somebody wanted to put a description of every episode in the overview (and could only fit about 11 episodes). That's when the simple list came to be, to stop that, not to stop listing episodes by disc. Separating episodes by disc is still simple, and more useful.
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantStar ContributorAddicted2DVD
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: Superior Rating
United States Posts: 16,660
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting TheKing75:
Quote:
Quoting Addicted2DVD:
Quote:
I don't use cast/crew listings to see what episodes are on which discs... after all simple episode lists don'
t usually have the disc numbers in the list... in my opinion that would be more then a simple episode list.The disc tab or child profiles will tell me which episodes are on which disc.


The whole idea of the "simple episode list" was to stop people from putting overviews for every episode in the overview. I remember when there was ping ponging with Alias Season One when somebody wanted to put a description of every episode in the overview (and could only fit about 11 episodes). That's when the simple list came to be, to stop that, not to stop listing episodes by disc. Separating episodes by disc is still simple, and more useful.


I know... I was the one that ran the poll to get the simple episode list instead. I personally don't even see the advantage of a simple episode list at all. And as I said... In my opinion this would go beyond a simple episode list. and I still feel that way.

It is not said in the rules what a simple episode list is. so all we can do is go by what we believe to be one.
Pete
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar ContributorRander
I hate mondays...
Registered: March 13, 2007
Denmark Posts: 591
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userVisit this user's homepageView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Krikarian:
Quote:
Quoting Rander:
Quote:

So for Star Trek and the likes I would (and do) use

721: Encounter at Farpoint
102: The naked now

just out of curiosity, is this the way star trek episodes (and probably others) should be numbered? by number, i thought one meant by season order, not the number assigned in the end credits, or wherever (simply uninformed) that longer numbers come from.


Well,, it's how they are numbered in the menu, the booklet and on every Star Trek website I've ever seen... 
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet. (William Gibson)
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantKrikarian
cool that never fades...
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 291
Posted:
PM this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rander:
Quote:
Quoting Krikarian:
Quote:
Quoting Rander:
Quote:

So for Star Trek and the likes I would (and do) use

721: Encounter at Farpoint
102: The naked now

just out of curiosity, is this the way star trek episodes (and probably others) should be numbered? by number, i thought one meant by season order, not the number assigned in the end credits, or wherever (simply uninformed) that longer numbers come from.


Well,, it's how they are numbered in the menu, the booklet and on every Star Trek website I've ever seen... 


i would not presume to deny such logic.

make it so...

krik
"Vampirism is still not a disease, Julia. Vampires are the living dead...dead...dead..."
DVD Profiler Unlimited RegistrantRifter
Reg. Jan 27, 2002
Registered: March 13, 2007
United States Posts: 2,694
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting hal9g:
Quote:
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:
We already had this argument and agreed to a standard.  That being: 1. Episode name

Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?  Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.


As I recall, the agreement to use "1. Episode Name" was for the simple episode list that was to be included in the overview.

This question is about what to put in the episode divider, so it is not something with an agreed to standard....yet.

If you'd like to propose that it should match the simple episode list in the Overview, that's fine, but it is incorrect to claim that this is a settled issue.

As I've stated above, since the episode number is already in the "simple epidose list" in the Overview, I think it is redundant and bad use of limited space, to put it in the episode dividers as well.



Do you even bother to read what people post?  I said Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.  What didn't you understand about that statement?
John

"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice!" Senator Barry Goldwater, 1964
Make America Great Again!
DVD Profiler Desktop and Mobile RegistrantStar Contributorhal9g
Who is John Galt?
Registered: March 13, 2007
Reputation: High Rating
United States Posts: 6,635
Posted:
PM this userEmail this userView this user's DVD collectionDirect link to this postReply with quote
Quoting Rifter:
Quote:

Do you even bother to read what people post?  I said Extend the standard to the dividers and be done with it.  What didn't you understand about that statement?


Just incapable of a civil conversation, aren't you John?
Hal
    Invelos Forums->DVD Profiler: Contribution Discussion Page: 1 2 3 4  Previous   Next